Friday, September 6, 2013

Out Of The Darkness- AFSP Fundraiser Walk

On Saturday September 28th, Heartland Human Services (where I work) will be holding their annual community walk to raise awareness for suicide prevention. We are fundraising for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP). This organization promotes research in drug and alcohol use related to suicide risk, youth prevention campaigns, research in genetic, biological and behavior factors that may contribute to suicide risk, and (my favorite) resources and support for suicide survivors (healing conferences, books, webinars, etc.).

In the beginning of my journey, I was overwhelmed with the volume of people wanting to help. Here's your chance. Please show up to the Effingham Community Park on 9/28 at 9am with a donation to register to walk. This is not a big 5K or a race. It is simply a community gathering to walk in memory of those lost and to walk in support of those left behind.

Another way to show your support is to purchase a memorial sign. These signs will be displayed along the park's path. Signs are $15. You can request any message be written on the sign ("In memory of...", "Donated by....", etc). After the walk, you are free to take your sign with you. If you wish to purchase a sign, get in touch with me. All proceeds from the sale of these signs goes toward meeting our AFSP fundraising goal. If interested, I have a breakdown of how the AFSP uses these funds to support their mission.

This walk is important to me. I volunteered to be on this committee before I knew how much I would be impacted. Please come show your support for this community so deeply impacted by those lost to suicide. You don't even have to walk if you're feeling lazy. A donation will suffice :) I will be there walking, and I hope to see my support system there with me!

If you need more information about the walk, donating, or purchasing a sign, you can call me at 217-821-8398 or Heartland Human Services at 217-347-7179. Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment