Monday, September 9, 2013

Psalm 23:4

"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil."

This is exactly how I am trying to feel about today. I had an unfortunate encounter with a suit-and-tie-asshole today who had no reservations about flexing his government muscles in my face regarding, of all things, substance abuse client files. However insignificant his professional and opinionated 'findings', he was sure to inform me that I have much to learn, and that although my mistakes may be innocent, they are still incorrect practice. Thanks for the trigger, asshole.

But then that asshole got me thinking. He doesn't know me. He doesn't know that I'm determined and I love my job. I'm a number to him. He shows up in his see-through dress shirt, cheesy tie, and earring as if to say "I have a doctorate and get paid to be an asshole. Step aside, and let me show you how its done!" Just doing his job, right? The memorial mass for those recently departed was tonight at the hospital chapel. I want to share the first reading.

The souls of the just are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them.
They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead; and their passing away was thought an affliction and their going forth from us, utter destruction.
But they are in peace.
For if before men, indeed, they be punished, yet is their hope full of immortality;
Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed, because God tried them and found the worthy of himself.
As gold in the furnace, he proved them, and as sacrificial offerings he took them to himself.
In the time of their visitation they shall shine, and shall dart about as sparks through stubble;
They shall judge nations and rule over peoples, and the Lord shall be their King forever.
Those who trust in him shall understand truth, and the faithful shall abide with him in love:
Because grace and mercy are with his holy ones, and his care is with his elect.

Steven was tested. He was tried in the face of hell as he stared directly in to the eyes of a human demon, and God found him worthy. Steven 'did his time', if you will. That leaves me here still walking through the fire every day. I won't say I'm never afraid. In fact, I'm scared every day. But that doesn't mean I don't try.

No comments:

Post a Comment